Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Spill the Tea Tuesday: Are readers *really* entitled to their opinions?


I'm back today, spilling the tea about readers and writers and how--or if--they can exist within the same spaces...


To be a good writer, you have to read. A lot! And I do. Rather, I try. I really do, especially when I'm branching out into a new genre and I need to study how other authors do things. As a result, I'm involved in several large and very active groups on Facebook. While these groups are specifically aimed at readers to ask for recommendations, talk about books, share reviews, etc., there are authors in these groups, too. (See above about how authors are readers, too!)


For the most part, these groups are amazing. I've learned about so many new books and authors I probably never would've known about otherwise. I've even had the opportunity to share about my own books and gain some new readers. Overall, it's been a very win-win situation. Until, inevitably, someone posts that dreaded question: What's your bookish pet peeve? Or: What's the one thing you can't stand in a book? 



And, inevitably, the post gets thousands of likes and hundreds of comments with answers like: books written in first person, books written in past / present tense, books with only one point-of-view, romance, love triangles, vampires... you name it, chances are it's something someone hates.


Now, as an author, I get it -- you absolutely will not be able to please everyone. It's impossible. That's a fact authors just need to accept, and I have. I realize that what and how I write isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, and that's okay. Because for every one reader how hates what I write, there is another reader who absolutely loves it!



But my question is this: Should readers be entitled to share these opinions in a space where they know authors exist, too? Because authors are going to read these posts and comments, and authors are going to question if the book they're writing is going to sell if they're including things readers are openly and loudly stating they hate. 


I'll be the first to admit there are things I see in books that make me cringe, and I will avoid certain books with specific content, but would I blast my opinions in a group where I know fellow authors will see it? Nope. I'll simply scroll on by and not buy that book if I know it's not something I like. But that's me. What about you? As a reader, do you feel this behavior is okay? How do you feel about this as an author?

Born and raised in the small town of Mexico, New York, KARA LEIGH MILLER is an only child who was forced to find ways to entertain herself. Playing make believe with her Barbie dolls and stuffed animals was her first real taste of storytelling before she became old enough to develop a love affair with the written word. In addition to being an author, Kara is a freelance editor and the Editorial Director at Anaiah Press, LLC. ​​Kara now lives in Michigan with her husband, three (of five) kids, five pit bulls, and four cats. When she's not busy writing romance novels that leave readers swooning, she's spending time with her family, working out, or binge watching Netflix. And sometimes, she'll even play golf with her husband, even though she totally sucks at it.

You can find Kara on her websiteFacebookTwitterInstagramGoodreads, and Bookbub. For the most up-to-date information, and to receive a FREE ebook, sign up for her newsletter!


The tea has been spilled! Who's gonna clean it up? 
Drop your thoughts in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting question. I’ve seen some horrendous things posted by readers in some of these Facebook groups, to the point I dropped out of one of them. One time, I remember thinking, “you do realize that author is on this post do, don’t you?” and just felt like posting a face palm emoji but, of course, I didn’t. As with all things social media, it comes down to good manners. If you wouldn’t t say it to an author’s face at a book signing, why are you slagging her book in a group or forum? It’s one thing to go on and on about how you think the hero and heroine shouldn’t kiss until the very last chapter, but if you’re mentioning an author by name and using her as an example of someone who puts a couple of kisses in each book, then I don’t think that’s kosher. Keep things polite and general. Not rude and personal! We all have different tastes and dislikes. While it’s sometimes helpful to get “reader temperature” in these groups, I’ve found them to be more negative overall, and I think that’s a sad commentary when we as authors are doing our best to put out entertaining and worthwhile books for our audiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I've seen some awful things, too, which is what led to this post and my question. I firmly believe readers are allowed to like or dislike whatever they want -- I mean, the world would be a boring place if we were all the same and had the same opinions -- but I wholeheartedly agree with you that this comes down to good manners. Unfortunately, the internet, social media, and the ability to "hide" behind a keyboard has made people more brazen in what they say online.

      I also agree that, as authors, we're doing our best to entertain readers and provide them with an escape from the real world, and when certain groups seem to thrive on the negative, on pointing out what they dislike, it becomes difficult to want to keep writing.

      Thank goodness for the ability to scroll on by, mute, unfriend, and leave groups, right? ;-)

      Delete
  2. As a reader, blogger, and reviewer I do give my opinion in groups. However, while I do this I am always conscious about the fact that the author may be in the group. I always simply state that it isn’t my cup of tea. I try never to disparage an author. I believe in constructive criticism but I do not believe in belittling any author. I still suggest books I did not care for to others. It may not have been for me, but they may be right up another readers alley.

    As a reader group owner I pay close attention to threads that are discussing books. We do not allow degrading comments towards authors, book or anyone to be honest. I think a good conversation on books is something people can do if boundaries are set. I feel that groups that promote that type of discussion do so to merely get people arguing as it drives up their engagement numbers. I would rather have a smaller group of quality then a huge group filled with disparaging comments. But that’s just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, this is the perfect balance. Readers can and absolutely should be free to share their opinions, but there are ways to go about it that don't disparage authors or entire genres. Like saying, "I'm not a fan of historical romance" is vastly different than saying, "All historical romance books are trash." One is your personal opinion that shows you don't like something. The other is a blanket statement about an entire genre, and to me, that's unfair and hurtful to historical romance authors.

      That's an interesting point about group engagement and not something I thought of, but it certainly makes sense.

      Delete