Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Spill the Tea Tuesday: Are these really the best years of your life??


Today, author Sharon Rene is spilling the tea...

Hi y’all, my name is Sharon Rene, and I write young adult fiction. Today, I’d like to “spill the tea” about something that used to bug me a lot when I was younger. Perhaps it bugs you, too. 

When I was in high school, and I’d be in a down mood someone would say, “You should be happy. These are the best days of your life.”

Really? Are these really the best years of your life?


I wanted to cry when I heard those words because I can guarantee you that my teen years were not the best days of my life. 

I was awkward, shy, self-conscious, and lonely. I used to pray that the future would be better, so I certainly didn’t want to hear that my days in high school were as good as it was going to get.

Teen years are unique and so important. Change greets you around every corner, and you don’t know how to react. There is a reason parents cringe when they say, “My child will soon be a teen.”

Believe me, I was that teen.


My parents loved me, and I loved them, but I was a real pain to live with during those hormone driven, crazy years. My emotions were up and down like a hot air balloon. The teen years are challenging – a time of growth and exploration. Time to learn about the person you are and the person you hope to become. Some teens shine and seem to have it all together. High school is fun for them, but it is still NOT the best years of their lives.

We’re only in high school for four years. At the time, it seems unending, but four years is a small percentage of a lifetime. The world has so much to offer. 

If you’re struggling through the teen years, please remember that things are going to change.
I hated high school, but I loved college. I’ve lived in several states and worked a variety of jobs. I’ve met interesting people and made great friendships. I’ve grown emotionally and spiritually. I am very different from the shy kid in high school. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you will be chained to your teens forever. You have years ahead of you to change things that you don’t like about yourself and your life. Change will not happen overnight, but the journey is the joy.



Teen and young adults, never fear – these are not the best years of your life. As wonderful as life may be now, it will get better as you follow your dreams. I loved to write as a teen but gave it up as I got older. One day, I started writing again, and now it is my passion. I love to write for a teen and young adult audience because I know the struggle is real. In Hesitant Heroes, I write that God has a unique plan for each one of us. I want young people to realize that they are one of a kind.

Teens, hang in there! 

If you are the parent of a teen encourage them that things will change. Life is not confined to the walls of a high school. Please don’t tell them these are the best years of their lives.


Sharon Rene is a member of ACFW and loves to write young adult and children’s fiction. Her young adult dystopian trilogy has been acquired by Anaiah Press and the first book, Hesitant Heroes, released September 7, 2021. Hesitant Heroes, a finalist in the Selah book award for young adult fiction, is an exciting blend of danger, drama and romance. The next book, Relentless Rebels, released March 8, 2022. It continues Team Seven’s exciting adventures. Defying Destiny, the prequel, is the last book in the trilogy. Her first book, A Mixed Bag of God’s Grace, was published in 2018 by TouchPoint Press. This is a book of short stories and devotions for elementary aged children.

Sharon Rene grew up in Louisiana and now lives in Tennessee with one very spoiled cat who enjoys making Instagram appearances. You can learn more about Sharon on her website and Instagram.



The tea has been spilled! Who's gonna clean it up? 
Drop your thoughts in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. It's sad what we say sometimes without realizing it. So glad you followed your dreams, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Didn't see that I needed to enter my Google account to be identified. I'm anonymous! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading my post. I appreciate your support.

      Delete