Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Kara's Book Cravings: Stranger Danger




I'd read and really enjoyed No Escape by Maren Stoffels, and the rest of her books sounded really good, too, so I bought them all. They've slowly been arriving on my doorstep via Thrift Books. (If you don't know what that is, Google it! My book loving brain loves it. My bank account doesn't. Haha)


I am a sucker for anything that has a secluded setting, so knowing this one was set at a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere, I jumped right in! Stranger Danger by Maren Stoffels is a teen thriller that has a central theme about bullying, which is always a timely topic, and I thought the author handled it well. I'm also a really big fan of this author's writing style. Her books have that little something odd and extra that I find exciting. 

While I did like this book, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it now that I've finished and have had time to digest everything. 

Everyone in this book is a liar, which is fine. I mean, they're teens and learning their way in life. But the adults are liars, too. And they're creeps. (A married teachers is having an affair with his student, so head's up for that content. Also, fatphobia and eating disorders.)

In many places, the teens were actually way more mature than the adults. Beyond that, though, there's a twist in this book. Several, actually. I tend to like those, especially when I don't see them coming, but this time... The twists felt more like a deception, an intentional secret the author kept from the reader and then diverted the truth to seem like something else when it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, at the end, it all comes together beautifully, but the "bad guy" is a bit of a let down. Not the person doing it, but the reasons behind their actions. 

Overall, I'm conflicted on this one. I read it in a matter of a day, and it certainly held my attention, but now that I'm reflecting on it... I'm just not sure. I do have to give this book and the author props, though, because I know this will be one I continue to think about long after I've closed it. 

Have you read this book? 
What did you think? 
Or has any book ever made you feel so conflicted? 
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment