Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Suspicious Minds

 


I am a HUGE fan of Stranger Things. I've watched the series multiple times, and I've started a collection of show memorabilia. I've also been reading the books. Knowing that the show came first, and the books came after, I was hesitant as to how they would fit in, and whether they'd be true to the show itself. I've been pleasantly surprised. 


Suspicious Minds by Gwenda Bond is the first official novel set within the Stranger Things world. This is the story that takes place before season one. This is the story of Dr. Martin Brenner and his experiments and how he came to create the children with special powers. Told from alternating points-of-view, we get the entire story of Eleven's mother--Terry Ives. We learn how she became involved, how she tried to fight back, how Eleven came to be and how she came to call Dr. Brenner "Papa." 

This was an extremely interesting story and definitely filled in a lot of holes and questions that weren't addressed in the show. This story was also disturbing! This has stayed with me since I've read it. The things Dr. Brenner did, the way he treated these women... I just can't fathom it. Talk about sadistic. And horrifying. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book and how it added to the world. I plan to do another re-watch of the show once I've read the books. 


Are you a fan of Stranger Things? 

Have you watched the show or read any of the books? 

What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment