Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Monday, September 18, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Hawkins Horrors

 


I'm a huge fan of Stranger Things on Netflix. I must have watched it half a dozen times already, and I'll probably rewatch again next month -- I mean, talk about a perfect show for spooky season! So when I found out there were multiple books based on this show, I couldn't pass them up. 


Hawkins Horrors: A Collection of Terrifying Tales by Matthew J. Gilbert is just as the title implies -- a series of short stories. Now, normally I'm not a big fan of collections like this, but what was great about this one is that each story leads into the next. So while they are all individual stories, they were all also interconnected. 

The Hawkins gang is hanging out in the local video store during a power outage, and to pass the time, they decide to tell scary stories. The set up felt so much like telling stories around a campfire, which was fantastic. Anyway, each character takes a turn, and sometimes another character would interrupt or accuse the person of not telling the story correctly. 

The interactions among the group and the characters' voices were so spot on and accurate based on the show. That was certainly refreshing, and I felt like I was right back in that world. I have several more books set within the Stranger Things world, and I'm excited to dive into those. 


Anyone else a fan of this show or the books? 
What's your favorite thing about it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment