Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Monday, September 11, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Camp Sylvania

 


I love to browse thrift stores and antique shops, and I always take time to peruse the books they have available. I've found a lot of great gems doing this -- though I always feel a twinge of guilt that the author isn't getting paid for a secondhand sale like that, but I also know if I like the book, I'll go on to buy more of their books or the rest of the series. 

Anyway, I found this book at a local thrift store: 


CAMP SYLVANIA by Julie Murphy is another middle grade book set during summer camp, so naturally, I was immediately intrigued. This one had some twists though. First, it's set at fat camp, which was a new one for me. Second, it has vampires! And y'all know how much I love vampires!

At first, I was so angry with the parents in this book, because they just drop the bomb on the main character (Maggie) that she's going to fat camp instead of the acting camp she had her heart set on. The fatphobia disguised as loving / concerned parents really got under my skin. Thankfully, by the end of the book, Maggie found her voice and stood up to her parents -- who were already having a change of heart. But the shift to "love the body you're in" was really nice. 

The vampires were an added bonus to this story, and I really enjoyed how they were handled. We don't get too much of the lore, but we get enough to understand what's happening. 

I really, really enjoyed this one, and read it in a day. Even though this is aimed at younger readers, there's so much in here that appeals to readers of all ages. I highly recommend everyone read this book!


Has anyone else read this book? 

What about any other books by this author? 

No comments:

Post a Comment