Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Friday, October 21, 2022

Fighting Fibro: A Spiritual Awakening?

 


In my last update post, back in August, I'd mentioned I was in the midst of yet another medication change. Well, I've been back to the doctor once since then, and I'm now completely off the Cymbalta--YAY for that! 


I've upped my dosage of Prozac to 20mg per day, which I now take at night, a couple of hours before bed. This has helped tremendously! I'm sleeping so much better at night, and I wake up feeling more refreshed than I used to. 

Unfortunately, I still don't feel like I'm at my best.



While I'm not napping every day anymore, I'm still kinda sluggish. I still feel like everything around me is foggy and distorted. I'm struggling like you wouldn't believe to focus on tasks and writing. Ugh -- my writing has suffered so, so much lately. Now, I should mention I've been dealing with some family, friend, and financial stress, too, which I know doesn't help. Plus, the weather is changing, temps are dropping, and that has always affected me in negative ways. Increased joint pain, a drop in mood, etc. 

The only way I can truly describe how I've been feeling is like I'm carrying chains around on my body. I feel weighed down. Heavy. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally, too. And I'm doing this in a constant fog, like I can't truly see anything clearly, everything is dull and fuzzy, and I'm slow to comprehend and process things. 

This is constant. Non-stop. All day. Everyday. 


Until last weekend...

My aunt -- God love her -- dragged me to a local psychic and holistic healing fair. Now, I went because she wanted me to and because I knew there'd be local vendors selling their wares, and well, I love to shop for Christmas gifts at these types of things. 

I need to preface the rest of this post by stating the following facts:


1. My aunt is spiritual but not necessarily religious. She leans toward Wiccan beliefs.

2. I grew up going to church. I've been baptized. I've always believed in God. 

3. I do not judge anyone for their beliefs. Ever. 

4. I also believe in science and medicine. If I can see it, feel it, touch it, smell it, taste it, etc., I tend to believe it. Yes, I realize this is in direction opposition to the entire concept of faith. BUT! I also firmly believe that just because *I, personally* haven't experienced something doesn't mean it's not real. I've never seen a ghost. Or an alien. Doesn't mean those things don't exist, right? 

So, now that I have that out of the way... We're at this fair and having a good time. I'm enjoying myself. My aunt stops at a Reiki healing booth. She's so excited! Asking me if I've ever had Reiki. I said no, because I haven't. And I'm not a liar. My aunt then asks if I want to--she's insistent it can help me with my Fibro pain (and all those pesky negative thoughts and emotions I've been battling lately). She tells me to try it, to keep an open mind. 

I'll admit, I was skeptical. But--and I swear this was the exact thought that went through my mind--what harm can come from trying this? It's not like it will hurt me or cause anymore pain than I'm already in, right? So, I took a deep breath, promised to keep an open mind, and I sat down in the Reiki Master's chair. 

She asked me (1) what I've been struggling with lately, (2) if I believed in God or some sort of higher power, and (3) what I wanted from our session. My answers to those: (1) pain in my left knee, across my lower back, along my shoulder blades, extreme fatigue, emotional stress about certain personal relationships, (2) yes, I do, and (3) to not feel so "heavy" all the time.

Then, the session began. I closed my eyes and listened to her soothing voice, the soft music playing, and the jangle of her bracelets. 

Thirty minutes later, she was done, and I opened my eyes...

The pain I'd been in when I'd first sat down in her chair was GONE! The constant fog surrounded me lifted. And I just felt lighter. My mental attitude was vastly improved. I wasn't suffering from bone-weary exhaustion. 


I'm not sure I can fully explain what she did or how it helped, but it did! Remember point #4 above: if I can see it, touch it, taste it, smell it, etc., I believe it? Well, I felt an actual physical difference. One minute, I had very real pain. When she was done, that pain was gone. The world around me was suddenly clearer. The weight I'd been carrying disappeared, and my shoulders just felt lighter. 

It's been a full week now, and I'm still feeling incredible. Yes, I've had some pain again, but I'm still taking my medication, still working out, still eating a low-carb diet. I'll continue to follow my doctor's orders, but I am absolutely including regular Reiki sessions into my treatment plan. 

This experience wasn't something I'd ever expected, and if not for my aunt, I probably never would've taken this leap of faith. But I am so glad I did, and I cannot wait to see how much better I continue to get with this new opportunity open to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment