Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Kara's Book Cravings: Playing With Fire

 


This was another thrift store find that I snagged at the same time I'd bought The Girl in the White Van by the same author.  I think I'm quickly becoming a fan of this author's work...


PLAYING WITH FIRE by April Henry is another young adult thriller and just as faced paced as the author's other book I read. This one really checked all my boxes -- "stranded" setting in that they are trapped on a hiking trail while trying to outrun a wildfire, survival elements, a romance, and a random group of people thrown together and forced to work as a team if they want to live. 

There's quite a bit of danger and mystery in this book, which I loved. I do have to caution you, though, that the backstory of our main character is intense. She survived a house fire as a child, but her baby brother did not. The circumstances surrounding that are much darker than the blurb leads you to believe. So, if child death is a dealbreaker for you, then you might want to skip this one because the author does not shy away from this trauma. I will say that it's handled well, but as a mom, this was hard to read about. Thankfully, the flashback chapters are minimal. 

Overall, this was another quick read that's a good addition to my YA thriller collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment