Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Someone We Know

 


This book was another used book sale find that I snagged because the blurb sounded good. I don't normally read domestic thrillers like this, but I read this in one day flat! Once I started, I just couldn't stop...


SOMEONE WE KNOW by Shari Lapena is like riding a rollercoaster without being fully buckled in. I was not prepared for all the twists and turns and secrets. Suburbia is a wild place, y'all! lol. 

At first, I thought I knew who the killer was, but as the story progressed, I began to second guess myself. This author is a master at casting suspicion on everyone, all the time, without the reader even realizing it's happening until after the bomb has been dropped. 

I really liked how everything and everyone was interconnected in some way and the (dysfunctional) relationships these people have built within their own families and with their neighbors. This was another book that had a lot of points-of-view, but it worked and definitely helped with the overall mystery. 

I felt the ending was a tad rushed, though, and the actual killer wasn't anyone I had suspected. Normally, that would be a good thing, but I tend to prefer books like this where the author gives some hints about whodunit. In this book, however, it seemed to come out of left field. Sure, the killer was shown and mentioned a lot throughout the book, and the killer showed up at odd times, but there really wasn't any hints that that specific person was the killer. So that was odd, but overall, the book was great. I'll definitely be looking for more books by this author.


Anyone else read this one? 

What are your favorite domestic thrillers?

No comments:

Post a Comment