Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Monday, November 6, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: The Sleepover

 


Yet another used book sale find, and I was admittedly on the fence about this one. But I gave it a shot, and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. 


THE SLEEPOVER by Samantha King is an adult domestic thriller / mystery. Normally, I can really get lost in this genre, but something about this one didn't quite click for me. 

First, this is every parents worst nightmare -- dropping your child off for a sleepover and returning the next morning to pick them up only to find they're just gone. And no one knows what happened or where your child is. 

Once I got beyond that... the bulk of the story is the search for Isobel's son (Nick) and trying to piece together what happened to him. This was all really well done, and I suspected a few people who didn't turn out to be the right suspect. That was interesting because I was so sure I was right about one specific character. 

For me, the ending is where this book fell apart. Not only were parts of it confusing to follow, the "bad guy" while shocking was also a little disappointing. Their motives were a little weak, and the things this person did -- I don't know. It just didn't click for me and felt a little like it might be out of the realm of possibility. I realize I'm probably not making much sense here, but I don't want to spoil the end, either. lol. 

The author's writing style was good and easy to read, and I'll more than likely try another of her books at some point. 


Anyone else read this one? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment