Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Tell Me Something Tuesday: 08.22.23 (I didn't like it; do I give it a second chance?)

 


Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post where bloggers discuss a wide range of topics from books and blogging to life in general. Weigh in and join the conversation by adding your thoughts in the comments. If you want to do your own post, grab the question and answer it on your blog. Feel free to leave your links in the comments if you are participating.

If you are interested in participating in TMST or receiving periodic emails that list the upcoming TMST topics and questions, please fill out this GOOGLE FORM. Participation is optional and never required.



I've picked up books in the past that I've been lukewarm about but was willing to give them a chance. Or books that have been over-hyped that aren't within my usual reading genres. There have been a few times when I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed the book. This recently happened with Yellowface by R.F. Kuang.


Most of the time, though, if I DNF a book or put it down because I'm just not enjoying it, I almost never go back to it. I have way too many books I want to read and write, that I don't waste time on things that aren't bringing me joy. (Sorry to all my fellow authors if this comes off as a little harsh!) 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes the mood isn't right for certain books that coming back later can fix. But, yes, there are a few that stay unfinished for good with me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total mood reader, and I will full-on ignore certain books if I know I'm not in the mood for them. Like right now, I'm in a spooky / true paranormal story mood, and so that's what I've been reading. I'm sure this will change soon though. lol.

      Delete
  2. No because I must have some kind of disorder that makes me read a book or delete it from my Kindle. lol If I don't like a book I will just delete it and never go back to it. Or if it's a physical book I will give it away so there's no way for me to go back to it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do this, too, most of the time. If I know I'm not going back, I either delete or pass it along -- which opens up more shelf space for books I do love!

      Delete
  3. I wish I was better about DNFing. I just struggle cutting the cord as they say. And you aren't being harsh - I honestly think there are a lot of people that think similarly. I do, I just don't do well putting it into practice! Welcome to TMST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm excited to be a part of TMST!

      And yes, I used to be the same way about DNFing, but then I got a job working as an acquisitions editor, and I HAD to learn this skill. I just can't read everything all the way through anymore. I have to prioritize.

      Delete