Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Camp Murderface

 


Anyone who knows me, or has ever peeked at my #MSWL for Anaiah Press knows that I have a soft spot for books set at camp. I don't care if it's summer camp, Bible camp, fat camp, or a family camping trip -- I just absolutely LOVE the setting and the atmosphere of being in the woods and "roughing it." So much can go wrong, and there's so much room for conflict and danger. So, when I found this book, I snatched it so dang fast.


CAMP MURDERFACE by Josh Berk and Saundra Mitchell is a middle grade story set at a summer camp. Told in 1st person alternating points-of-view from the two main characters, Tez (male) and Corryn (female), this is a delightful tale that blends contemporary and paranormal when our two characters have to solve the mystery of Camp Sweetwater, which they nickname Camp Murderface. Missing girls, strange happenings, creepy camp counselors, screaming faces in the bonfires... A lot happens in this book, but none of it ever felt like too much. The pacing was good, despite this book being just over 300 pages -- which seems rather long for an MG book, but I think the market has been trending toward longer books lately. 

My only complaint with this book, and this is really very minor, was that at times, it felt like the adults writing this book tried a little too hard to sound young and cool. Though, this book is set in the 80s, and I was just a baby back then, so maybe I'm completely off base here. lol. 

Either way, I enjoyed this quite a bit, and I've bought the sequel and am happily diving into that next. 


Anyone else read this book yet? What did you think? 

Do you have any good recommendations for books set at camp? 

No comments:

Post a Comment