Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: The Unplanned Life of Josie Hale

 


After having read quite a few dense non-fiction books and twisty, dark thrillers, I needed something light and fluffy for a change, and so I picked up The Unplanned Life of Josie Hale by Stephanie Eding. Full disclosure: I know this author. I've worked with her on a book she'd previously published with Anaiah Press, and we're friends on Facebook. She constantly makes me "ooohh" and "awww" when she posts pictures of the kittens she fosters. Seriously so adorable! And y'all know how much I love cats!


A while ago, Stephanie had posted on Facebook that her book was on sale, so I grabbed a copy. That whole authors supporting authors mindset, and she's a genuinely nice person. I wanted to support her, and I had enjoyed the YA she'd previously published with Anaiah, so I assumed I'd like this new book, too. And I wasn't wrong!


This is an adult book, a cross between women's fiction and rom-com, and I loved absolutely everything about this book! The characters are so relatable, and their interactions with one another are fantastic. I legit laughed out loud several times while reading this, and I was consistently rooting for all three of the characters (the main character, Josie, and her two roommates, Ben and Kevin.) I don't think I can pick a favorite, but Kevin is hilarious! The way they speak to each other and tease each other reminds me so much of me and my husband and a few of our friends. 


Overall, this was exactly what I needed as a palate cleanser in between the heavier books I've been reading lately, and my spirits were lifted when I finished the last page. While I would have like answers to some lingering questions / sub-plots, they didn't really hinder my enjoyment at all. (And I know the author, so I can totes just ask her! lol)


Anyone else read this one yet? What did you think? Do you have any recommendations for similar books?

No comments:

Post a Comment