Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Monday, July 22, 2024

Kara's Book Cravings: Two Degrees

 


This is another book sale find. Or maybe I found it at a thrift store. I don't remember, but I do remember being intrigued by the cover. I'm also a big fan of anything that's doom and gloom and destruction, so of course I'd be interested in TWO DEGREES by Alan Gratz


This book really straddles the line between MG and YA because each section follows a different set of characters through a different natural disaster: a hurricane, a forest fire, and polar bears getting too close to humans due to global warming. 

To say this book is action packed would be an understatement. Every page was full of high stakes adrenaline, life and death scenarios, and very vivid imagery. I was on edge quite a bit while reading this book. There's a horse involved, but I can tell you that the horse is fine! No animal deaths, which is good for me, because if that had happened, I would've stopped reading. 

This book was clearly written with a purpose, and that was to educate kids about the climate crisis. While that topic is certainly important, this book hammered it home a little too hard, in my opinion. By the end, I felt like the author was force feeding me a lesson. As an adult, I don't like that. I can't imagine younger readers will, either. BUT! The facts about the climate crisis were included seamlessly and in a very engaging way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment