Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: What Lives in the Woods

 


This specific book has been in my TBR pile for almost a year, I think(??) Maybe not that long, but it's been there a while. Why? Well, because at some point, I want to write a middle grade book, and in order for me to do so successfully, I need to read widely within this age category. I went on an MG book buying spree a while ago, and now that I'm back in a reading groove, I'm studying this age category intensely.


WHAT LIVES IN THE WOODS by Lindsay Currie is a spooky middle grade told in first person point-of-view. This is also set in Michigan, which is where I live, so that was super cool! 

This book has everything that I love -- a haunted house, local scary legends, thunderstorms, things that go bump in the night. 

Despite being on the longer side, the pacing was fast, and I read this from cover to cover in two days. 

The sibling relationship was very well done, as was the budding feelings between our main character and the local boy she meets. 

The mystery and the spooky elements were great, too, and had I read this when I was the target audience, it would have scared the crap out of me! lol. 

The ending felt a tad rushed, and there was one section that was glossed over (what I thought was a critical conversation between the main character and her dad) and only hinted at in a short memory. Overall, this was a solid read, and I really enjoyed it. 

I see that this author has a new book releasing in September, another spooky middle grade, and you can bet that I'll be ordering and reading that one, too!


Anyone else read this book? Or anything else by this author? 

What are your thoughts? Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment