Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Spill the Tea Tuesday: K-Pop Rocks!

Today, author Judith Gonda is here to spill the tea...


I’m thrilled to join you today to spill the tea! I’m so excited to share how the K-pop boy band Stray Kids has inspired me as a writer and brought me great joy! 


I first discovered Stray Kids two years ago. 2020 had been a rough year. One night I was scrolling through my Twitter timeline as I often did in the wee hours when pandemic angst haunted me. The February 2020 release of my debut mystery novel, MURDER IN THE SECRET MAZE had coincided with the beginning of the pandemic. Not ideal. Did anyone want to hear about a newlywed landscape architect convinced her missing husband had met with foul play when the whole world was grappling with a terrifying disease?  Everyone, myself included, was preoccupied about their own survival, not some fictional character’s. 

As I randomly scrolled, I happened upon a post by a book blogger I followed. It included a link to the official Stray Kids music video for their hit “God’s Menu,” an ode to their unique flavor of music. 


Stray Kids were the joy I didn’t know I needed. I was immediately mesmerized. I’ve always loved music, but this was different. Their amazing stage presence, the precise execution of their synchronized dance routines, the beautiful range and harmony of their voices—it was all breathtaking. Like other K-pop groups, they wore flashy fits, glitter makeup, and sported hair colors in every shade of My Little Pony. Each of the eight members had his own unique charm and charisma. I was instantly drawn to Felix, the member whose angelic face belied his deep voice. And then there was Hyunjin, the sexy Adonis of the group, whose hypnotic gaze pierced through the computer screen and captured my heart. But there was something special about the Stray Kids that went beyond their brilliant talent. They seemed to be very nice people too. Decent human beings. Authentic. Sincere. Humble. Polite. Compassionate. Warm-hearted. With nary a hint of the narcissism often seen in so many celebrities. Their cheerful demeanors and playfulness always put me in a good mood.

It's so difficult to pick my favorite thing about them. But if pressed, I’d have to say it’s the mental health related themes of hope, optimism, inclusivity, resilience, love, caring, and perseverance. These themes infuse their songs, especially in relation to how they impact their own professional journey in the very competitive Kpop industry. Their lyrics are uplifting, humorous, and feisty. A few songs focus on love and sexual attraction, but most are about loving yourself, valuing your own voice, and not caving to feelings of self-doubt. They thumb their nose at haters, using the hate of others to fuel their artistic journey to always try harder. They let criticism and rejection roll off their backs. 

It wasn’t long before I realized the challenges they faced as Kpop idols, the self-doubt, the doubts of others, the subjectivity of critics and reviewers, were similar issues that writers faced. 

I soon found out I wasn’t alone in my admiration of Stray Kids. They were gaining popularity internationally. And this past July, I had the chance to see them in person when their Maniac concert came to Los Angeles.

I was convinced the positivity I felt from their videos would be the same if I saw them in person. And I’m happy to report, I was correct. They were even warmer and more joyful than I’d expected. Their positivity, love for their fans, and determination to give their all came across so strongly, whether it was playfully adding a couple of cartwheels to a number, thanking the fans profusely, or respectfully acknowledging the ASL interpreter signing their rap songs with gusto. When they spoke to the audience it mirrored the message of their songs, acceptance. They even asked how many in the audience had come alone. The show of hands was met with supportive applause. 


They communicate with their Korean and international fans often (most members speak some English and two are Australian), which builds bonds. I liken it to the Facebook cozy mystery groups where authors and their readers interact and make friends. They not only have music videos, they have practice videos, and Vlives and Bubble, apps where K-pop idols talk to fans in real time, and where discussion of their TV viewing habits led me down the K-drama rabbit hole (but that’s another blog post). Their humor and that of their fans, keeps me buoyed and hopeful for the world because I’ve encountered so many positive-minded people. Really sweet people. 

Of course, there are some villains, as in any good story. The antis, as they’re called, who are the haters notorious for starting malicious rumors about Kpop idols, somewhat analogous to the trolls who write random mean-spirited reviews. But like resilient writers, Stray Kids focus on the positive and keep moving forward.

I’ve gone on a lot about how uplifting the Stray Kids are, but what have I learned from them as it relates to publishing? Parallels abound. Focus on producing a lot of high-quality content, not only books, but for blog posts and social media. Be authentic, be sincere, and embrace your own voice. In keeping with this sentiment, in MURDER IN THE COMMUNITY GARDEN, the third Tory Benning mystery, my MC has become a Stray Kids fan.


I’m also trying to model the way Stray Kids interact with their audience, by putting myself out there more, despite my introvert tendencies. I see how brave the Stray Kids are about not only expressing their talent, but promoting it as well, and writers must do the same, despite all the potential rejection we face. Positivity begets positivity. And determination leads to success. If you need some sunshine in your life, check out the Stray Kids!




Judith Gonda is a mystery writer and Ph.D. psychologist with a penchant for Pomeranians and puns, so it's not surprising that psychology, Poms, and puns pop up in her amateur sleuth mysteries. To learn more about her books, please visit her website. You can also follow Judith on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.



The tea has been spilled! Who's gonna clean it up? 
Drop your thoughts in the comments!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on Spill the Tea Tuesday today, Kara! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete