Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Looking back on 2017...

It's been a real "Hold my beer and watch this" kind of year, hasn't it? Between politics and publishing, I'm exhausted! And quite honestly, I'm glad to see 2017 go. But, before it does, it's once again time to look back on the year and see what I accomplished, what I didn't, and what big changes I faced in 2017.


My 2017 Goals Included:

1. Propose and potentially write a fourth book for a contracted series. 

Status: GOAL KINDA MET

My Thoughts: I wrote a proposal, and it was rejected. My editor felt it was too dark in comparison to the rest of the series. In hindsight, she's right. (She always seems to be right. LOL.) Also, for various reasons, the third book will not be published, so it seems silly to write a spin-off. 


2. Finish Savage Passion (Midnight Rebels, Book 1) and allow my agent to start sending it out on submission. Also, outline the entire Midnight Rebels Series--which, right now, is looking like it could be 7 or 8 books total.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My Thoughts: Because I am no longer writing adult secular romance, and because I've parted with my agent, this project has been officially shelved. Maybe I'll revisit it in the future. 



3. Complete the R&R for The Georgia Corbins.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My Thoughts: I had very good intentions with this one. I love this story so much, and I want it back out in the world. And I am not giving up on this series. But, for the time being, it's not at the top of my priority list, mostly because I don't know what to do with it. Rewrite and resubmit? Self-publish? Query it again? I'm not sure yet. 



4. Finish Hallowed Ground (Graves Barren, Book 1), my YA Gothic romance, and send to agents.

Status: GOAL KINDA MET

My Thoughts: I have been working on this book a lot lately. It has undergone a title and genre change. It's now called Eternally Cursed (working title) and it's a YA paranormal romance. I'm 15k away from it being finished and ready for beta readers. I am so in love with this book and these characters! 

5. Blog

Status: GOAL KINDA MET

My Thoughts: I've been doing more blogging over on the Anaiah Press Blog, but this blog has been all but ignored. 



6. Read more books for pleasure.

Status: GOAL MET!

My Thoughts: While I didn't read as much as I wanted to, I read a lot more books this year than I did the past couple of years. Here's what I read:

Under Rose Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall
Running Home by Katie O'Connor
Engaged in Death by Stephanie Blackmore
The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer 
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer
Fire in You by J. Lynn
Fall With Me by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Forever With You by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Frigid by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Scorched by Jennifer L. Armentrout
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
We Can Be Mended by Veronica Roth
The Vampire Diaries (The Awakening) by LJ Smith
The Vampire Diaries (The Struggle) by LJ Smith
The Vampire Diaries (The Fury) by LJ Smith
The Vampire Diaries (Dark Reunion) by LJ Smith


Out of 6 goals, I fully achieved one and kinda achieved two. Those aren't very good numbers, huh? So, at this point, you're probably wondering: What the heck did you do all year, Kara? I'm glad you asked. I did a LOT! Honestly! Take a look...

Professionally:

  • I've written a total of 313,522 words on various personal projects this past year. 
  • I edited 2 fantastic manuscript for freelance clients; one of whom went on to sign with her dream agent.
  • I've edited a total of 7 manuscripts for Anaiah Press, and acquired a whole heck of a lot more.
  • My alter-ego edited, released, and promoted two books. 
  • I GOT MY FIRST FAN MAIL LETTER!!!!
  • I co-wrote and queried a contemporary YA that deals with mental health and suicide.
  • I started a new Christian romantic suspense series. The first book is titled Deception, and it deals with a cult. 
  • I participated in a couple Twitter pitch events for some co-authored YA books, and even got a few requests!
  • I learned how to use Canva to make book teasers.
  • I made some big decisions about my writing career. 
  • I learned a lot about myself as a writer and editor--what I can and want to do, what my limits are, and most importantly, that the world isn't going to stop spinning if I don't do all the things all the time. 

Personally: 
  • I went to NY to visit my parents and my daughter.
  • I went to Moline, IL to see Twenty One Pilots in concert for my daughter's 13th birthday. It was her first concert and was such a wonderful experience!
  • My eldest daughter moved back in with me after having lived with her father for the past few years.
  • My eldest daughter graduated from high school!
  • My son graduated from 8th grade and started high school. 
  • My daughter skipped 7th grade and went into 8th--She's doing wonderful, too! 
  • I saw a live Burlesque show!
  • I have finally learned the importance of self-care. 

Even though I didn't meet many of my original goals, I still accomplished a lot. I'll consider it a mildly good year, all things considered.


What did you get done this past year? 
Share your success in the comments!