Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Monday, December 26, 2016

Looking Back on 2016....

As 2016 comes to an end and the world prepares to welcome 2017, it's once again time to look back on the year and see what I accomplished, what I didn't, and what big changes I faced in 2016. To read my full 2016 goals post, click HERE!

My 2016 Goals Included:

1. Finish writing books 2 and 3 of The Hayden Falls Saga 

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: When I set this goal, I knew it was a long shot. Not because I couldn't write them, but because this series was / is low on my priority list. The contract for book 1 will be expiring very soon, so for the time being. this series is on hold until I decide whether I want to renew the current contract or ask for rights back and find it a new home.


2. Finish writing book 3 of The Georgia Corbins

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: Originally, I was planning to self-publish the entire series this year, but then an opportunity presented itself, and I submitted book one to a publisher I would love to work with. While the editor loved the characters and the overall story idea, she felt the writing and execution still needed some work and offered me an R&R (revise and resubmit). So, while I didn't meet the goal I set, I'm counting this as a win. I have her notes and I will be working on this in the new year.


3. Finish writing Savage Passion and send it to my agent.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: I have a notebook full of ideas for this new book/series, but other things have kept me from diving in (see below), but I'm really excited to jump into this new world.


4. Finish Warped Remains--A YA thriller I co-wrote with David Jemal.

Status: GOAL MET!

My thoughts: We finished the book and started sending it out. We currently have an R&R from an awesome publisher. We're days away from finishing the revision and will be sending it back to the editor in early January!


5. Finish Hallowed Ground (Graves Barren, Book 1)--A YA paranormal romance

Status: GOAL KINDA MET

My thoughts: The book isn't 100% finished, but I'm a lot closer than I was last year at this time. I'm now at 70K of an estimated 90K. I also managed to work through some road blocks, plot holes, and outline the ending.


6. Finish Eternally Bound--an adult paranormal romance

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: I'm admittedly bummed I didn't get this one finished. I've heard paranormal is set to make a comeback, and I really wanted to get this one done and sent out. *sigh* Maybe next year.


7. Finish The First Snowfall--an erotic thriller.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: I'm on the fence with this book. I'm not sure my heart is into it, so I think for the time being, I'm going to shelve it.


8. Finish Resistance, the sequel to Inferno that I co-wrote with David Jemal.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: This series is currently in limbo, so until we get it worked out, I won't be working on it.


9. Get creative and come up with some new adult book ideas.

Status: GOAL KINDA MET

My thoughts: As I mentioned in my 2016 Goals post, my agent signed me for adult books, and all of my ideas as of late seem to be young adult. I'd like to say I've come up with a whole list of new ideas, but I haven't. At least, not any that aren't YA. lol. BUT, I do have a new romantic suspense series I'm planning to write, and possibly some more NA books (which my agent does rep. YAY!)


10. Beg people to like me-- This included doing more daily promo and meeting other writers in-person.

Status: GOAL MET!

My thoughts: I started a newsletter and am steadily building my list of subscribers. I created and am in the process of launching a new pen name (Lexi Lawton). I met a group of local writers via NaNoWriMo and we'll be organizing a writing/critique group in early 2017.


11. Keep on blogging.

Status: GOAL NOT MET

My thoughts: I completely dropped the ball on this one. I have no excuses.


Out of 11 goals, I fully achieved two and kinda achieved two. Those aren't very good numbers, huh. So, at this point, you're probably wondering: What the heck did you do all year, Kara? I'm glad you asked. I did a LOT! Honestly! Take a look...


  • I've written a total of 382,282 words on my personal projects this past year. 
  • I've edited a total of 6 manuscripts for freelance clients.
  • I've edited a total of 7 manuscripts for Anaiah Press.
  • My New Adult contemporary romance, Tempting Tanner, sold to Entangled Publishing in a three-book deal. It's the Collins Brothers Series and will be releasing throughout 2017. I've spent months editing, rewriting, and editing some more. 
  • I wrote the Collins Brothers Book 2--Chasing Xander.
  • I wrote a large chunk of the Collins Brothers Book 3--Resisting Ryder.
  • I wrote a big chunk of Hallowed Ground (Graves Barren, Book 1).
  • I wrote 25k of a brand new New Adult romance that's pushing the boundaries in some fun ways.
  • I co-mentored not one but TWO authors for PitchWars. And I'm beyond thrilled to say they are both now agented. 
  • I started a new young adult romance. 
  • I won NaNoWriMo!!
  • I outlined a book proposal for a spin-off to my Collins Brothers Series.
  • Jody Holford and I released Jaded Love
  • I visited Washington, DC with my daughter and her 5th grade class. 
  • I made several trips back to NY to visit my parents and my two older daughters.
  • My parents visited Michigan for the first time ever, and I had a blast showing them around. 

Even though I didn't meet many of my original goals, I still accomplished a lot. The sale of my series changed my focus, and that's okay. In my mind, 2016 was an overall win!

What did you get done this past year?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post 100% and this is right that do not forget that what happened in the previous year by losing yourself in the preparation of new year.

    ReplyDelete