Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Kara's Book Cravings: Fourth Wing and Iron Flame

 




Like all the other book lovers out there, I'm not immune to the hype surrounding Fourth Wing and Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros. I am, however, immune to the epic fantasy books or anything that requires heavy worldbuilding. Or... I used to be anyway...



A very good friend of mine had read Fourth Wing and insisted I needed to read it, despite knowing I'm not a fan of fantasy. But I trust her, so I decided why not? Let me see for myself what all the hype is about. 

I read Fourth Wing in a matter of days! In fact, I hadn't even finished it when Iron Flame released, but I was at my local Target bright and early to ensure I got my copy, and I even splurged on a second copy of Fourth Wing so I could have the pretty sprayed edges and the bonus content. 

I've read both sides of the arguments surrounding these books -- those who love them and those who hate them -- and I can see value in both opinions. Personally, I really enjoyed these books. Yes, they're long, and yes there are some things that don't make a lot of sense. But I read for the enjoyment of it, to escape the dumpster fire that is the world, and these books gave me that. I was sucked into the world almost immediately. I LOVE the dragons and their lore. 

And don't even get me started on Xaden -- I have a new book boyfriend, y'all! He's the type of strong, silent, brooding hero I wish I could write. My heart raced every time he showed up on the page. 

I will admit I did struggle just a bit with Iron Flame, mostly because the middle sagged a bit, and some things happened that stole the magic I'd found reading the first book, relationships to be specific. (Don't worry -- I won't say because I don't want to spoil anything.) 

Overall, these books were fun, and I'm (im)patiently waiting for book 3, because WOW does book 2 end on a wicked cliffhanger! Fair warning. But what I think I like most about taking a chance on these books is that it's opened me up to an entirely new genre that I was adamant I wouldn't like -- fantasy romance. 

I can admit when I'm wrong, though, and now I'm doing a deep dive into this genre and reading everything I can get my hands on!


Anyone else read this series? 

What are your thoughts on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment