Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Looking Back on 2020....

Hmm... Well, this was certainly "A Year" wasn't it? Between politics, the pandemic, and the rollercoaster that is publishing, 2020 has not been a great year on a global scale. While I, too, had to deal with all of this stuff in my everyday life, I had an overall amazing year! And I'm reluctant to even type that because I know for so many, this year was truly awful. But because it's been so awful, I'm not going to feel bad about my accomplishments. If anything, we need more reasons to celebrate this year, so buckle in and let's take a look back on the year to see what I accomplished, what I didn't, and what big changes I faced in 2020.

My original 2020 goals included: 


(1) FINISH BOOKS 1 & 2 OF THE GEORGIA CORBINS SERIES

These books... I both love and hate them. LOL. They are very near to my heart, but I'm still really struggling with what direction to take them, so while I thought about them quite a bit this past year, I didn't actually open the docs and work on them. But that's okay. Maybe next year. 


(2) WRITE BOOKS 2 & 3 OF MY YA PARANORMAL ROMANCE SERIES

Bahahahahaha! Wow, has so much happened with this series! Originally, it was only supposed to be three books. That turned into four. Then six... All of which are now written. Four are now available for sale with the final two up for pre-order. 


(3) RESURRECT MY PEN NAME

For those who don't know, I write steamy New Adult and adult books under the name Lexi Lawton. After a surprising (and wonderful) email from my publisher, I found out they are re-investing in my books with some new marketing efforts, and I couldn't be more excited! So, I've revamped Lexi's website and social media, and I'm actively working on some new stuff for her. In the meantime, if you want to stay up-to-date, you can follow her (me) on social media: newsletter / Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads / Amazon / AllAuthor / Bookbub


(4) OFFICIALLY LAUNCH FIRECHICKEN PRESS, LLC

I didn't just launch this with one book as I'd originally wanted to--I launched it with the entire Cursed Series! And I did so several months earlier than I'd expected, too, so that's been fun. 


(5) KEEP ON EDITING

I'm still with Anaiah, and I've still been editing. I don't foresee this changing any time soon. I also managed to snag a couple new freelance clients. 


(6) FIND MY PASSION

My official word and state of mind going into 2020 was passion. I wanted to find that spark again, to fall in love with writing and editing and life in general, and despite everything, I did. I'm exactly where I've always wanted to be in terms of loving what I do, and this is probably the best thing to have come out of 2020.


While I kicked butt with my goals this past year, so much more has happened that I never expected or planned for, so here's the quick rundown: 


Professionally: 

  • I wrote a total of 680,227 words (!!!) That's the most I've ever written. 
  • I blogged a total of 19,393 words.
  • I released 6 books: Warped Remains, Perfectly Imperfect, Eternal Curse, Eternal Choice, Eternal Bond, and Eternal Love.
  • I wrote approximately 5k of a spinoff from The Cursed Series.
  • I rewrote the ending to Lexi's 3rd book (Resisting Ryder) and submitted it to the publisher for consideration. 
  • I've re-signed with my former agent, Dawn Dowdle of Blue Ridge Literary Agency!! 
  • I dove headfirst into self-publishing. 
  • My book, Perfectly Imperfect, released as an audio book! And I've since started moving The Cursed Series into audio, too. 
  • For Anaiah, I edited 8 full length novels and 5 novellas. 
  • I freelance edited 6 manuscripts.
  • I had professional author photos taken--finally! It's only been 10 years. LOL. 


Personally:

  • I went on my dream vacation--A Caribbean cruise with my BFF, Emily!
  • I survived an ongoing global pandemic without getting sick. Well, not any sicker than usual, anyway.
  • Despite the gym closing, I managed to continuing working out on a regular basis -- thanks to my wonderful husband investing in an elliptical for me. 
  • I maintained my weight loss from last year! In fact, I even managed to drop another couple of pounds. 
  • Caught up on lots more TV... I finished the final season of The 100 (severely disappointed) then began a rewatch but stopped midway through season 4. I made it through every single episode of Supernatural, and then watched the finale with my daughter (when we both cried our eyes out). I watched the only season of V-Wars, Daybreakers, and The Society. Oh, and I watched Shadowhunters, too!
  • My daughter is on track to graduate from high school early, and I've gone on a couple of college tours with her. I'm beyond excited that she's been accepted to her top choice. 
  • My son, who does not do well with online learning, passed all of his classes this first semester, and he's on track to graduate next year, too!
  • My other daughter got a new kitten. 
  • Two of my girls have gotten first jobs this year--one at Subway and the other at Little Ceasers. 
  • We got a new puppy on Christmas eve. Her name is Maggie May, and she's absolutely adorable.


I even managed to read a lot more this year than I normally do: 

  • City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, and City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
  • Kissing the Wrong Twin by Christina Herrara
  • Risen by Cole Gibsen
  • Crave and Crush by Tracy Wolff
  • Twin Souls by K.A. Poe
  • Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy
  • Fading by Cindy Cipriano
  • The Immortal Mark, The Immortal Truth, and The Immortal Bond by Amy Sparling
  • Vampire Crush by A.M. Robinson
  • The Vampire's Promise by Caroline B. Cooney
  • Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer
  • Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare
  • Hex by Thomas Olde Huevelt
  • Uncomfortable and Unavoidable by Nessa Page
  • A Cowboy's Pride and Winning the Cowboy's Heart by Karen Rock
  • The Country Vet by Eleanor Jones


Overall, it's been a pretty great year for me professionally, and I'm excited to see what I can accomplish in 2021. Stay tuned for my official goals post :-) In the meantime, tell me in the comments what YOU did this year! 





No comments:

Post a Comment