Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Thursday, September 3, 2020

{Thursday Thoughts): Secular vs Christian

Thursday Thoughts is a new feature here on my blog -- don't ya just love how I randomly create these new things? -- where I'll share whatever's on my mind. It could be about writing or editing or life in general. Today, I want to talk -- or maybe vent -- about the two different markets I've been simultaneously living in for the past several years. 

When I first started writing and publishing, it was within the secular romance market, and I'd found some decent success in that I'd gotten published with a variety of small presses, had good reviews and fans. I even managed to sign with an agent. Then I got into editing, and while I absolutely love doing that, it took a lot of time away from my own writing and publishing endeavors. There was a very long period where I didn't write or publish anything. 

Throughout that period, I became involved with Anaiah Press, which is strictly Christian fiction. An entirely new world of fiction had been revealed to me, and I quickly fell in love with it. I even wrote a couple Christian novels, and I thoroughly enjoyed that. 

But now, I'm firmly back in the secular market with my YA paranormal series, and it feels good. It feels like I'm back where I'm supposed to be. Not that I don't love CF -- I do -- but all of my current book ideas and series I want to go back to and finish are all secular. At this point in time, I don't have any intentions of going back to the Christian market as a writer. 

So, I guess consider this a head's up that moving forward, all my books will be secular. Does this mean I'll never write CF again? Of course not. If the muse comes knocking, I'll answer. While I will always try to consciously keep my books free of cursing, sex, and gratuitous violence, if the story calls for it, I won't shy away. But don't worry, it won't be graphic, and  I'll always be mindful to include content warnings. 

You're probably wondering why I'm doing this. A couple of reasons. 

1. As I said above, all my ideas lately have been secular, and if I don't write those, what will I write? I really don't have any brilliant CF ideas anymore, not since Perfectly Imperfect released earlier this year. And I don't want to not write simply because I don't have ideas for a specific market. 

2. I'm not gonna lie... Writing for both markets is exhausting. It's two completely different readerships with vastly different expectations. If I do an event that caters to CF readers, they'll be turned off when I then promote my secular books on my social media or in my newsletter. Conversely, marketing CF to secular readers doesn't go well, either. 

To any of my CF readers who choose not to continue following / supporting me as a result of this decision, I completely understand, and I promise I have no hard feelings. I truly want only the best for you :-) 

To everyone else who's still with me -- buckle up. I have a feeling this is going to be a wild ride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment