Want a FREE book? Sign up for my newsletter!

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Inspiration at the Ponderosa


Earlier this week a friend called to ask if I'd like to hang out and have lunch with her one day this week. I told her Wednesday was the only day I had available, but I'd like to.

Well, it's Wednesday. I woke up feeling really crappy and I immediately sent her a message asking for a rain check. However, as I sat here and looked at the pile of things I had to do (packages to mail, letters that needed stamps, a stack of cash to deposit, bare cabinets that needed groceries, etc) I decided I couldn't lounge around on the couch like I really wanted to. So, I forced myself to shower and get my butt out the door. No sooner than I sputtered into the gas station, she called and asked if I'd like to have lunch with her at Ponderosa. I agreed.

After running my errands, we went to Ponderosa Steakhouse for lunch. It was quiet and we had a lot of time to talk, which is always a nice, relaxing thing to do--sit and talk with a friend. As I ate way too much, I looked around and took note of the decor. All the cowboy hats, boots, paintings, horse statues, horseshoes, and every other horse and cowboy related decoration made me really want to write a cowboy romance. But that's neither here nor there right now. The best part of today was knowing I inspired a friend.

Shortly after I had dropped her off and came home, she called me and started asking questions about my writers group, The CNY Creative Writers Cafe, about blogging, and pen names. Now, we'd been talking about  her interest in writing for a few days, but today, I felt like she reached a turning point and is serious about writing. She also asked me if I'd be willing to read it over for her. (Any writer knows how big of a leap of faith that is.) Needless to say, I was honored and happily accepted.

Anyone can think about writing a novel or a memoir. Actually doing it, is something completely different. Despite the common misconception---it's not easy and it's not glamorous. But it's fulfilling. That alone makes all the struggles worth it.

So, to my friend: I wish you luck during your writing endeavors and I'm always just a phone call away should you need help or encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment